And here it is, the moment(s) you’ve been awaiting. After some technical issues that led to a few false starts, the Geekquality team is very pleased to get talking. Embedded below for your listening pleasure is our first episode of our podcast recorded a few weeks ago.
Please note: there is a certain smattering of well-intentioned cursing and the brief discussion of rape as punishment of women in fiction could be triggering to some. And, as with any podcast or blog focused on discussing current media, we will be discussing plot developments of TV shows, movies and books, so there may be occasional spoilers. Our first podcast is quite conversational and we probably could have talked for hours more. We may or may not have a little bit more structure going forward, but we certainly will not have LESS enthusiasm.
In addition, we’re also including the full conversation between author, blogger & culture vulture Jennifer K. Stuller and Geekquality’s Alice Marie and Elyse. A lively discussion on women in geek media, social networking tools as a way to build a community, cult film archetypes like Tura Satana in Russ Meyer’s Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! and other topics.
Links to some references:
- Find out more about Jennifer Stuller’s book, Ink-Stained Amazons and Cinematic Warriors: Superwomen in Modern Mythology, which has received many accolades
- John Cho interview mentioned by Lois
- The referenced “special snowflake syndrome“
- The Centaur in mythology, beyond the capsule summary we offer
- The Mystical Pregnancy trope discussed on Feminist Frequency
- Potter Colours: a blog celebrating characters of color in J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter universe
Please let us know if you encounter any issues while streaming the podcasts. We are testing out a podcast hosting service and would appreciate your feedback.