- Earlier this week, games and pop culture critic Anita Sarkeesian faced yet another string of disgusting threats, further reinforcing Lewis’ Law. New Statesman’s Ian Steadman weighs in with the detailed piece Tropes vs. Anita Sarkeesian.
- Of importance is this opinion piece by Brianna Wu, who leads a development studio in the gaming industry. Wu presents several case studies of the myths and realities of harassment of women in the industry.
- On the more positive side of gaming news, this study on the impact games have on children’s psychosocial development shows that gaming – in moderation – isn’t the evil so many parents fear. (via Geek Therapy)
- Shonda Rhimes will be appearing in The Mindy Project as herself. And don’t forget: in addition to Shonda, Niecy Nash is also joining the cast.
- Party Down is coming to Hulu this weekend! Are we having fun yet?
- Donald Glover will be voicing Miles Morales in Ultimate Spider-Man: Web Warriors. We’d rather he got cast in the live-action film, but this is also great.
- Karen Gillan’s ALS Ice Bucket Challenge – mostly because of John Cho dancing around in a Red Power Ranger suit.
- BuzzFeed flips the script on the whole “fake geek girl” thing in this simultaneously funny and disheartening video.
- This piece on The Toast will likely inspire many weekend marathons of Cagney & Lacey.
- The Academy plans to honor beloved animator Hayao Miyazaki and performer and activist Harry Belafonte this November.
- Marie Claire (UK) spotlights several young Native American women dedicated to preserving their culture.
- My So-Called Life turned 20 this week. Let that sink in. Here are a few good reads inspired by the show.
- A multi-contributor blog at the intersection of fandom and media criticism. Exploring the geek zeitgeist to celebrate diversity and to discuss room for improvement.
We are on hiatus, but feel free to explore and check out our suggested reading list!
Commenting PolicyWe have a commenting policy for the site and encourage you to review it.
We do this ad free & out of pocket – wanna help?