This week we’re excited about the Olympics, a new graphic novel with strong WOC as protagonists, and one particularly dedicated Star Wars fan, among other links.
- With the Olympics kicking off today, we’re in a patriotic fervor! This segment on Sammy Lee, the first Asian-American Olympian who won a gold medal for diving, really warmed our hearts.
- On another Olympics tip, now that it’s been confirmed that the Spice Girls are reuniting for the closing ceremony, we’ve been wondering what other wonders to expect. While this is a rumor, the thought of a bunch of Mary Poppinses fighting Voldemort kind of makes us … happy.
- We’re excited about Concrete Park, a new graphic novel co-created by Erika Alexander (you might remember her as Maxine Shaw on Living Single), with her husband Tony Puryear and brother Robert Alexander. Strong women of color as protagonists? Hell yes! (via Clutch Mag)
- Ah, the virus – the basis of many an apocalyptic/dystopian/zombie outbreak scenario. A good storytelling foundation lies in realistically considering patterns of infection and chaos, and this is a great (if not slightly terrifying) read on the topic.
- There’s something both soothing and inspiring about this vignette with Tim Molloy, Head of Creative Direction with London’s Science Museum, as he talks about the hidden stories of objects found at flea markets and takes us on an after-hours visit of the museum. (Plus, we love his style.)
- Star Wars fan restores Luke Skywalker’s Tatooine home, or, more specifically, the igloo-like building in Tunisia that was used in the movie.
- Folks who perpetually have glue stuck to their sleeves and pipe cleaners falling out of their pockets should check out Geek DIY, a new video series by crafty geek Bonnie Burton.
- Editors Tanya and Lois just discovered that that they belong to the same Hogwarts house AND the same Meyers-Briggs personality. (We like to unwind by taking online quizzes around here.) Inspired by that, here are some book characters profiled according to the 16 different personality profiles!
- My Boyfriend is an Engineer is a hilarious/disturbing Prometheus theme Tumblr that is a result of clearly too much free time and we just love it, although you probably should avoid it/it might not make sense if you if you haven’t yet seen the movie. (via SuperPunch)
- Music and audio geeks in general will appreciate this fun video from sound design studio Robot Repair, demonstrating 180 different musical instruments.
- Super Villian yummies!
- Now you too can advance science with your phone!
- The horrifying psychological and physiological consequences of being Aquaman :(
- Guillermo Del Toro and Ron Perlman are inspired to make Hellboy 3 happen, as the result of a child’s Make A Wish.
- A full franchise new wave reboot of Star Trek would be kind of an amazing feat in scope, wouldn’t you say?
What’s on your radar this week? Tell us in the comments!