This Halloween has found us tired, sleepy, and sitting in piles of tissues surrounded by cups of tea and bowls of soup because of the cold season. Don’t you feel it? Many folks have mentioned feeling especially tired these past few weeks. (Personally, we blame it on the dementors.)
Rather than leave you completely empty handed without our take on this ghoulish of holidays, we’ve done our part by compiling some links for your enjoyment. So if you’re like us, planning to spend tonight under blankets huddled up on the couch with the TV, a book, or your laptop, here’s some stuff.
For starters, here are some of our past posts on all thinks ghastly and spooky:
- Our list from last year, highlighting our favorite horror movies
- Our “hair of the dog” (hair of the zombie?) list for combating zombie fatigue
- Lois Payne’s dream team of ladies you’d want on your side in a horror movie
- Rick’s interview with Larime Taylor, author of horror comic A Voice in the Dark
- Three fantastic reviews from Lois of grizzly horror gems: The Descent, Bedevilled, and Arang
Elsewhere, across the web, we’ve picked a few worthwhile articles and resources for you:
- Some good haunted house reading rounded up by Slay Belle at Persephone Mag
- Bitch Magazine asks, why can’t white people just quit blackface?
- Do you like science and facts? Do you like gross stuff? Are you twelve years old, like us? io9 talks myth and facts behind boogers.
- Here’s a list of 13 great free (!) horror games, and also a list of 25 best horror games, both compiled by Gameranx.
- What are some TV characters wearing for Halloween this year? A round up from Buzzsugar, with lots and lots of pictures.
Last, but not least, because I’m trying to do the legwork for you, here are my suggestions for streaming Netflix movies to watch tonight. (If you don’t have a Netflix account, Hulu has a pretty extensive library of free horror and suspense movies, but I can’t attest to their quality.)
- Classics: Carrie, Ghostbusters, Rosemary’s Baby, The Evil Dead, Hellraiser, House on Haunted Hill
- Foreign: The Host, Trollhunter, Dead Snow, Ju-on: The Grudge, Let the Right One In, Hansel & Gretel
- B-Horror and Cult: House, The Stuff, Baron Blood, Re-Animator
(Shameless plug time: my friend Marie and I just launched Cinema Midnight, our B-movie/cult flick movie review site, which currently has three spooktacular movie reviews for your enjoyment already.)
How are you spending Halloween? What movies are you planning on watching or games that you’ll be playing, if you’re staying in? Tell us in the comments!